|By Bob Weaver 2012|
Steer Creek is a tributary of the Little Kanawha River draining an area of 184 square miles in Braxton, Gilmer and Calhoun counties.
The Right Fork Steer Creek of 25 miles rises approximately 5 miles northwest of Frametown in western Braxton County.
The Left Fork Steer Creek of 25 miles rises approximately 3 miles north of Gassaway in central Braxton County, flowing into southern Gilmer County through the communities of Chapel, Normantown, Lockney, Stumptown to Russett in Calhoun, where it empties into the Little Kanawha River.
Many of the houses built in the bottom land next to Streer Creek have been flooded during the last 150 years.
Stores and post offices, now gone, were established along the Calhoun stretch known today as Rt. 7. Perhaps the longest standing institutional structure is the Rush Run Baptist Church, still open and thriving.
According to the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection, approximately 91% of the Steer Creek watershed is forested.
Long vacant home of Frank and Emily Stump at the mouth of Raccoon
Run at Steer Creek, one of two early black communities in Calhoun
Historic Bennett House along Steer Creek, Nelson M. Bennett
(1843-1899) married Sarah Rutherford, buried in nearby Bennett
Cemetery, connected to the historic Bennett family of Lewis-Gilmer
counties, large landowners of the Bear Fork Wilderness area;
Right: chimney remains of Robert and Emma Ramsey Godfrey homestead
along Steer Creek, once operating a general store on property
Falling down house of Lewis and Arena Vannoy
along highway, holds memories of family life
The Bennett-Knotts house along Steer Creek,
owned by Robert J. Knotts family since 1918