By Norma Knotts Shaffer |
MOMENTS IN TIME
The Chronicle in 1885 was edited and published by R.M. Marshall, having been started by him about two years previous to that date. It was a seven-column quarto, and bears evidence of good workmanship.
The market report, which was corrected weekly by Hodges and Barr, the 1885 leading merchants of the town, reveals some very interesting facts, and many will wish for a return of "them good old days."
Spring chickens are listed at 5 cents per pound, butter 12 cents, eggs per doz. 8-1/3 cents, lard 10 cents, coffee 16 to 20 cents; and just think of turkeys at five cents per pound.
Wouldn't those kind of prices fix up the family budget in great shape today and allow lots of room for gasoline, motor repairs and amusements.
Sugar sold at 9 and 10 cents a pound, potatoes 75 cents a bushel, flour $7 a barrel, wheat $1.25 and corn $1.00.
The election was to be held. Only candidates for county superintendent of free school had their announcements in the issue: W.E. Metz, W.S. Ferrell, James E. Ferrell and J. Frank Griffin. W.E. Metz was nominated and elected.
General merchants at that time were Hodges & Barr, the firm being composed of James Hodges and Hagan Barr.
S.P. Stump & Thomas advertised that "It will pay to go to the new store at the post office." J.W. Pell advertised a general line of merchandise as did Knotts and Johnson of Minnora.
The advertisement of black Peter Hicks, tonsorial artist, announced that he would do shaving and hairdressing at the private rooms of his customers. Mr. Hicks afterward established a barber shop in Grantsville and conducted it for many years.
T. E. Hodges and L.H. Trippett announced the opening of the select school to continue fifteen weeks at the rate of eight dollars for the term with an extra charge of two dollars per term for teaching language.
F.E. Ferrell was the local saddle and harness maker, while S.M. Ward advertised a line of furniture at Mount Zion.
Hotels advertising were: A. H. Stump, Main Street; Central House, H.N. Craddock, Prop., Glenville; J.W. Umstead at Brooksville; The Hays House, G.W. Hays, Prop., Arnoldsburg; The Tucker House, Burning Springs, R.C. and J.W. Tucker.
M. Hardman & Bros. warned the public not to catch logs afloat between the mouth of Steer Creek and burning Springs bearing the brand O. H.
1885 County officers were: prosecuting attorney A. Knotts; clerk of both county and circuit courts, G. W. Silcott, county commissioners H. R. Ferrell (father of a later prosecuting attorney Bruce B. Ferrell), A. H. Sturm and W. W. Fogel; J.P. Knight was sheriff, L. H. Trippett, superintendent of schools, W.M. Bennett, surveyor and H. C. Goodnight assessor. R. F. Fleming, of Glenville was judge of the circuit court.
Lawyers listed were I. H. Lynch, George F. Cunningham and J. G. Schilling, of Spencer; N.M. Bennett, Glenville; Linn and Hamilton, Grantsville, and A. Knotts, Minnora.
Dr. A. D. Adams was then practicing at Stumptown. The only physicians advertising in Grantsville were doctors W. H. Thomas and C.L.C. Atkeson. H.A. Altizer advertised as a pharmacist and druggist at Arnoldsburg.
T. R. Stump was president of the Center district board of education and advertised for the letting of a contract for a schoolhouse on Leafbank.