Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer from microfilm
of the Calhoun Chronicle dated 11/10/1927.
Chronicle of 1885
Brings to Light Early History of County
Hot Race on For Superintendent of Schools
Low Prices for Commodities
Between the leaves of his mother's Bible, Wade H. Betts, a former resident
of Grantsville, found a time-yellowed copy of the Calhoun Chronicle.
It is dated April 18, 1885, No. 47, Vol. II, the whole number being 97.
The paper's more than forty-two years old, but is in a fine state of preservation
except where folded.
The paper was carefully preserved by Mrs. Betts, because it contained
the obituary of her daughter, Miss Elizabeth Fannie Betts, who died April
The Chronicle at that time was edited and published by R.M. Marshall,
having been started by him about two years previous to that date.
It is a seven-column quarto, and bears every evidence of good workmanship.
The type faces, of course, are quite different from those of today.
The market report, which was corrected weekly by Hodges and Barr, the
then leading merchants of the town, reveals some very interesting facts,
and many will wish for a return of "them good old days." Spring chickens
are listed at 5 cents per pound, butter 12 cents, eggs per doz. 8-1/3 cents,
lard 10 cents, coffee 16 to 20 cents; and just think of turkeys at five
cents per pound. Wouldn't those kind of prices fix up the family
budget in great shape today and allow lots of room for gasoline, motor
repairs and amusements. Other prices were not greatly different from
those of today. Sugar sold at 9 and 10 cents a pound, potatoes 75
cents a bushel, flour $7.00 a barrel, wheat $1.25 and corn $1.00.
From the announcement column of the Chronicle of that date, it appears
that an election was to be held; even though in what we call an off year.
Only candidates for county superintendent of free school had their announcements
in the issue before us. These were W.E. Metz, W.S. Ferrell, James
E. Ferrell and J. Frank Griffin. If we remember our county history
correctly, W.E. Metz was nominated and elected. All of the ten candidates
have since passed to their reward, except James E. Ferrell, who now resides
on the interurrban above Parkersburg.
General merchants at that time were Hodges & Barr, the firm being
composed of James Hodges and Hagan Barr. The former is long since
dead. Mr. Barr resides in Los Angeles, California, and is engaged
in the manufacture of auto bodies. S.P. Stump & Thomas advertised
that "it will pay to go to the new store at the post office." J.W.
Pell advertised a general line of merchandise as did Knotts and Johnson
The advertisement of P. Hicks, tonsorial artist, announced that he would
do shaving and hairdressing at the private rooms of his customers.
Mr. Hicks afterward and established a barber shop in Grantsville and conducted
it for many years. He still lives on his farm on Pine Creek and enjoys
good help despite his advanced years.
T. E. Hodges and L.H. Trippett announced the opening of the select school
to continue fifteen weeks at the rate of eight dollars for the term with
an extra charge of two dollars per term for teaching language.
F.E. Ferrell was the local saddle and harness maker, while S.M. Ward
advertised a line of furniture at Mount Zion.
Hotels advertising were: A. H. Stump, Main Street; Central House, H.N.
Craddock, Prop., Glenville; J.W. Umstead at Brooksville; The Hays House,
G.W. Hays, Prop., Arnoldsburg; The Tucker House, Burning Springs, R.C.
and J.W. Tucker.
M. Hardman & Bros. warned the public not to catch logs afloat between
the mouth of Steer Creek and burning Springs bearing the brand O. H.
County officers were: prosecuting attorney A. Knotts; clerk of both
county and circuit courts, G. W. Silcott county commissioners H. R. Ferrell
(father of present prosecuting attorney Bruce B. Ferrell), A. H. Sturm
and W. W. Fogel; J.P. Knight was sheriff, L. H. Trippett, superintendent
of schools, W.M. Bennett, surveyor and H. C. Goodnight assessor.
R. F. Fleming, of Glenville was judge of the circuit court.
Lawyers listed were I H. Lynch, George F. Cunningham and J. G. Schilling,
of Spencer; N.M. Bennett, Glenville; Linn and Hamilton, Grantsville, and
A. Knotts, Minnora.
Dr. A. D. Adams was then practicing at Stumptown. The only physicians
advertising in Grantsville were doctors W. H. Thomas and C.L.C. Atkeson.
H.A. Altizer advertised as a pharmacist and druggist at Arnoldsburg.
T.R. Stump was president of the Center district board of education and
advertised for the letting of a contract for schoolhouse on Leafbank.
In all, the old copy is very interesting and the Chronicle is indebted
to Mr. Betts for the opportunity to copy items from it. Mr. Betts
now lives in Corpus Christi, Texas, and was here for several days attending
to business matters. The other Betts boys, Ward H., S. Cav_ss and
Charles F. are located in Picher, Oklahoma.