|Chronicle of 1885
Brings to Light Early History of County|
Hot Race on For Superintendent of Schools
Low Prices for Commodities
Transcribed by Norma Knotts Shaffer/Calhoun Chronicle
Wade H. Betts, a former resident of Grantsville, found a time-yellowed copy of an 1885 Calhoun Chronicle in 1927.
The Chronicle at that time was edited and published by R.M. Marshall, having been started by him about two years previous to that date. those of today.
The market report, which was corrected weekly by Hodges and Barr, the then leading merchants of the town, reveals some interesting facts, making many to return to "them good old days."
Spring chickens were listed at 5 cents per pound, butter 12 cents, eggs per doz. 8-1/3 cents, lard 10 cents, coffee 16 to 20 cents, and turkey at five cents per pound.
Sugar sold at 9 and 10 cents a pound, potatoes 75 cents a bushel, flour at $7.00 a barrel, wheat $1.25 and corn $1.00.
From the announcement column, it appears that an election was to be held in an off year. Only candidates for county superintendent of free school had their announcements in the issue, W.E. Metz, W.S. Ferrell, James E. Ferrell and J. Frank Griffin.
General merchants at that time were Hodges & Barr, the firm being composed of James Hodges and Hagan Barr. Mr. Barr resided in Los Angeles in 1927 and is engaged in the manufacture of auto bodies.
S.P. Stump & Thomas advertised that "It will pay to go to the new store at the post office." J.W. Pell advertised a general line of merchandise as did Knotts and Johnson at Minnora.
The advertisement of Peter Hicks, tonsorial artist, announced that he would do shaving and hairdressing at the private rooms of his customers. Mr. Hicks afterward and established a barber shop in Grantsville and conducted it for many years. He still lives on his farm on Pine Creek and enjoys good help despite his advanced years.
T. E. Hodges and L.H. Trippett announced the opening of the select school to continue fifteen weeks at the rate of eight dollars for the term with an extra charge of two dollars per term for teaching language.
F.E. Ferrell was the local saddle and harness maker, while S.M. Ward advertised a line of furniture at Mount Zion.
Hotels advertising were: A. H. Stump, Main Street; Central House, H.N. Craddock, Prop., Glenville; J.W. Umstead at Brooksville; The Hays House, G.W. Hays, Prop., Arnoldsburg; The Tucker House, Burning Springs, R.C. and J.W. Tucker.
M. Hardman & Bros. warned the public not to catch logs afloat between the mouth of Steer Creek and burning Springs bearing the brand O. H.
County officers were: prosecuting attorney A. Knotts; clerk of both county and circuit courts, G. W. Silcott county commissioners H. R. Ferrell, A. H. Sturm and W. W. Fogel; J.P. Knight was sheriff, L. H. Trippett, superintendent of schools, W.M. Bennett, surveyor and H. C. Goodnight assessor. R. F. Fleming, of Glenville was judge of the circuit court.
Lawyers listed were I H. Lynch, George F. Cunningham and J. G. Schilling, of Spencer; N.M. Bennett, Glenville; Linn and Hamilton, Grantsville, and A. Knotts, Minnora.
Dr. A. D. Adams was then practicing at Stumptown. The only physicians advertising in Grantsville were doctors W. H. Thomas and C.L.C. Atkeson. H.A. Altizer advertised as a pharmacist and druggist at Arnoldsburg.
T.R. Stump was president of the Center district board of education and advertised for the letting of a contract for schoolhouse on Leafbank.