|OLD PHOTOS OF CALHOUN SUPER SERVICE EARLY 1940s (Compliments Of Richard Morris, whose father Donald Morris was manager for years)|
Movement on old Calhoun Super Service site
10/04/2017 - One of Grantsville's historical businesses, the long closed Calhoun Super Service that stretched for a block, could be coming down, or at least a part of it.
The business was incorporated in 1935 by L.J. Morris, C.A. Jarvis, and Ernest Mollohan. The business was expanded in later years to Glenville, Weston, and Harrisville. The last model year that autos were sold was 1986.
The large complex was spared in the 1966 fire, the structure shown in distance
Owned by Grantsville businessman Steve Satterfield for several years, it appears that contractors are stripping parts of the decaying structure for materials that can be re-purposed.
Satterfield, who fought for a number of years to build a large convenience store in center Grantsville, has yet to say what the disposition of the property might be.
The long structure contains a number of add-on buildings, from the historical Bowling Clinic and Thompson's Drug Store on Main Street, early endeavors, to others that were used for a car dealership, auto repair, furniture and appliance store.
Over the years, numerous businesses have occupied the complex.
Old fixtures and debris being removed
Ernest Mollohan, son of Robert Perry Mollohan and brother of Congressman Bob Mollohan, operated the Calhoun Super Service for a number of years and was President of the Calhoun Board of Education, and in later years the manager was Don Morris.
The complex still has an automotive parts store.
wvhistoryonview.org Calhoun Super-Service Inc, Grantsville, W. Va.
The complex contained the long-closed Bowling Clinic,
which was the county's only "medical
center" for nearly three decades starting in the 1930s